Well we were officially released from the hospital on Sunday and Brooklyn is the most precious thing that has ever happened to us!

I was induced on Thursday morning around 8:45am. I had a pretty high pain tolerance for the contractions but not so much for the labor. Around 9:30pm I was ready to start pushing. The first hour, it wasn't too difficult. After that, it became very painful. They could see her head and she was very close for a while, but was just being stubborn and staying in there. The doctor called for a vacuum to section her out, but luckily she came out right as the vacuum got there. Such an unbelievable moment hearing her cry for the first time and holding her and knowing that she is ours! The doctor started stitching me up and I could feel as I could feel most of the birthing process too. She gave me two (I think) shots of anesthesia which did numb me up.

Unfortunately, the numbness never went away and even a day later, my legs were still numb. I was not able to stand up on my own nor could I feel my legs. The following day, there was not much progress, I was finally able to get up and use the restroom with the help of two nurses but my legs buckled as I was walking and started to collapse. The nurses caught me and I started to use this assistance thing that had wheels and they could push me around the room.

The following day, my strength got a little better and I could move my legs around on my bed a little better and kind of lift them up and down. I used the assistance stroller for about half the day and then started using a walker which was great new because I had to stand on my own for that.

The nurses and my doctor were concerned because they have never had this situation before. It was very scary because of course I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to walk by myself ever again. I saw an anestheisologist who recommended seeing a neurologist. They also did an MRI on me on Saturday night or it may have been Friday night and there was nothing concerning on that. Which was good news as well! I worked with two physical therapist, one gave me some exercises to do to help with gaining strength, the other evaluated me and insisted that they order me a walker to take home. I also saw a neurologist who evaluated me and had no idea why this happened and thinks that over time it will get better.

The doctor thinks that I either hit a nerve while pushing and that because of the epidural, I couldn't feel it or that the two shots of anesthesia are what caused it.

Once the walker came in, were were released from the hospital. I had them take me down in a wheelchair since the furthest I had walked was back and fourth to the restroom by myself.

Now that we are home, it has been a challenge and a little bit of a rollercoaster. I am unable to hold Brooklyn and walk around because I don't trust that my legs wont give out at any given time. Scott is such a great dad and husband and has been taking great care of both of us. He get's up in the middle of the night to bring her to me so that I can feed her, he get's up and gives her the pacifier so I don't have to walk and helps put her back to sleep. Although a lot of dad's help like this, he has been doing it every night and every time she wakes up.

The numbness still exist in my legs from about mid thigh to about half way down my calf. I still have a little feeling but there is still a lot of numbness. The strength has come back a lot, my left leg is a lot stronger than my right. I do exercises that the physical therapist recommended and work with the right leg a little more than the left. It's still scary to walk because my legs can give out at any time. I googled what I am feeling and I have read some post about other people that this happened to. Some say that the numbness went away after a few weeks and others say even after 5 years it's still there. As of right now, I am just doing what I can to live with it and adjust my life style incase the feeling doesn't come back.

Although I hate that this happened, it was all worth it for Brooklyn. If you can just keep praying for my recovery, it's very appreciated!!!

On our way home from the hospital

8 pounds and 4.8 oz!





Born at 11:40pm
Birth Weight 8.48
Birthday June 5th
Length 21.5 inches longPosted byStevieat10:02 AMEmail ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to PinterestNo comments:Post a Comment

Newer PostOlder PostHomeSubscribe to:Post Comments (Atom)Welcome!Welcome!
Wife to Scott. Newly Mother to be. Student. Friend. Daughter. Lover. Strong love for crafting, designing, fashion and a fruity drink on a Saturday night. Slip into my size 8 shoes and welcome to my world!Go to my facebookBlog Archive▼ 2014(39) ►  July(4)▼ June(1) ►  May(6) ►  April(7) ►  March(8) ►  February(7) ►  January(6) ►  2013(5) ►  December(5)When do you think the baby will arriveFollow by EmailVote on the gender of Baby SneeSearch This BlogLoading... #uds-searchControl .gs-result .gs-title, #uds-searchControl .gs-result .gs-title *, #uds-searchControl .gsc-results .gsc-trailing-more-results, #uds-searchControl .gsc-results .gsc-trailing-more-results * { color:#3fa53d; } #uds-searchControl .gs-result .gs-title a:visited, #uds-searchControl .gs-result .gs-title a:visited * { color:#469c78; } #uds-searchControl .gs-relativePublishedDate, #uds-searchControl .gs-publishedDate { color: #666666; } #uds-searchControl .gs-result a.gs-visibleUrl, #uds-searchControl .gs-result .gs-visibleUrl { color: #3fa53d; } #uds-searchControl .gsc-results { border-color: #6f6f6f; background-color: #f3f3f3; } #uds-searchControl .gsc-tabhActive { border-color: #6f6f6f; border-top-color: #6f6f6f; background-color: #f3f3f3; color: #666666; } #uds-searchControl .gsc-tabhInactive { border-color: #6f6f6f; background-color: transparent; color: #3fa53d; } #uds-searchClearResults { border-color: #6f6f6f; } #uds-searchClearResults:hover { border-color: #6f6f6f; } #uds-searchControl .gsc-cursor-page { color: #3fa53d; } #uds-searchControl .gsc-cursor-current-page { color: #666666; } Ethereal template. Template images by suprun. Powered by Blogger.

View the Original article